Cafe Müller and Tanztheater Wuppertal

The Edwards Collective (Princeton University) visits the Brooklyn Academy of Museum to see Tanztheater Wuppertal

Reflection by Ellie Maag ’19

Edwards Collective members Rachel Inman ’20, Pulkit Singh ‘20 and Ellie Maag ’19 at the Brooklyn Academy of Museum

As someone who has not seen many dance performances, I was left speechless by Tanztheater Wuppertal’s “Cafe Müller” and “The Rite of Spring.” 

“Cafe Müller” was quiet and violent in a controlled fashion. The mechanized movements were mesmerizing. I watched that performance as if in a trance. 

I knew “The Rite of Spring” would be different as soon as the stage hands started to spread dirt in a clearly defined space on the stage. 

“The Rite of Spring” was so energetic and aggressive that you could hear the dancers panting in the breaks in the music. The sound of their movements was deadened by the dirt, making the dancers seem as if they were sprites flitting anxiously across the stage. 

The featured dancer was absolutely incredible. Her facial expressions and movements conveyed her emotions so clearly. Her desperation was agonizing to watch, yet we were all unable to look away. 

Leaving the theater, I felt exhausted. I felt so touched by the dance in a way that I couldn’t express in words. I wanted to join them on the stage and answer appropriately through movement.